Monday, September 29, 2008

The Flight of the Turkey Buzzards




A few days ago, as David and I were coming back from our evening bike ride, we looked up and saw hundreds of turkey buzzards. They were taking advantage of the beautiful cool evening and were soaring overhead. I don't exaggerate by saying hundreds! When I got up to walk the next morning, I noticed they were waking up and getting gathered to fly off somewhere. They had spent the night in the trees in our neighborhood. Karrie told me later there is a "Turkey Buzzard Festival" up in Kern Valley. Who would have guessed? I notice this evening there are still some around, maybe ten or twenty tonight. I always see red-tailed hawks around here, but have never noticed turkey buzzards. The pictures above were taken in the early morning, as they gathered in the eucalyptus trees.

2 comments:

Monica said...

They migrate every year through the area. Quite a sight!

Papa Randy said...

What do they taste like?